News from Powerlifting Australia, April 2017
Results and updated national and international event listings.
- 2-10 December 2016 Asia/Oceania Championships Christchurch New Zealand
Australia was runner-up to home nation New Zealand at the 2016 Asia/Oceania Championships in Christchurch, but was on top for individual performances. Liz Craven came back from her 3rd in the World Championships to set 52kg World Records in the Squat with 153.5kg and the Total 418.5kg. From there came a cavalcade of World Junior Records for our Women lifters– Bethany Parker made a clear sweep of the records in the SubJunior 84kg class, finishing with a 481.5 Total.
– Yani Zhao was ill and below par but came through with a 198kg World Record Squat and 501kg Total at 84kg.
– Nathalie Balhald at 57kg produced a 175kg Deadlift and 390kg Total for World Records.
– Most promising of all was newcomer Schae Zarew with a 436kg Total at 63kg.At the other end of the age spectrum venerable Masters 2 lifters Mary Macken at 47kg and Vicki O’Brien at 63kg set records including a long-sought 175.5kg Deadlift World Record for Vicki.Across at the Men’s another superstar led the way, Cameron McKenzie setting World Junior Records in the Deadlift at 363kg and Total at 888kg. Australia had a surprise winner in the Open 66kg class with Ken Nguyen’s 590.5kg Total whilst Nathan Tanis 710kg at 83kg was a big Total but overshadowed by King James (NZ) 712kg in a battle down to the line. Two Masters stood out for Australia. Graham McDonald’s 760kg at M1 120kg being way out in front and Eric Dumas Crowleyesque 666kg at 93kg getting him best M2 lifter.Thus ended a 300 lifter contest with 60 Australians the biggest visiting contingent after visa problems took out more than 100 entrants. In 2017 the Asia/Oceania’s are scheduled for Singapore and the ever growing force of Australian Powerlifting should again lead the way.
- 16-22 April 2017. 2nd Women’s and Men’s IPF Open, Subjunior, Junior, Masters World Classic Benchpress Championships, Killeen, Texas.
Watch the competition live with Livestream. Venue: Courtyard Marriott of Killeen Ballroom.
- 28-30 April 2017. Pacific Invitational – Fitness and Health Expo, Sydney.
- 28-20 April 2017. Sydney Championships, Pro Benchpress, Pro Deadlift. Fitness Show, Sydney.
50,000 fitness fans will be in attendance to view the latest in Fitness trends and Powerlifting is right at the forefront of what’s hot and new. Powerlifting will be the prime feature all three days of the Show. We start with the Sydney’s finest in the Open on Friday. Then Saturday and Sunday is all international action, with two Sessions of the Pacific Invitational plus the Pro Bench Press and Pro Deadlift. Powerlifting Australia has secured some of the Worlds best lifters, as well as showcasing our region’s best.
Features: Jeza Uepa, Kaiki Kodama of Japan, Dave Ricks of USA, Brett Gibbs of NZ and Liz Craven and Yani Zhao of Australia. Tickets at www.fitness-show.com.au. Coaches and gym owners can register for free using an Industry Pass.
- 22-27 May 2017. World Equipped Benchpress Championships Subjunior, Junior, Open and Masters, Minsk, Belarus.
- 14-25 June 2017. World Powerlifting Championships, Subjunior, Junior, Open and Masters, Minsk, Belarus.
Powerlifting Australia is calling for nominations for selection in the Australian Team as Lifter, Coach or Referee to the World Powerlifting Championships to be held in Minsk, Belarus June 14 to 25, 2017.Qualifying criteria are as per the PA Regulations i.e. based firstly on the prior Australian Championships placing, for lifters who have achieved the required qualifying standard (EII Open, A Grade Junior, B Grade SubJunior, have lifted Master).
Venue: Palace of Sports 220004 Republic of Belarus, Minsk, Pobediteley ave., 4 www.sportpalace.by/index.php/en.html
- 10-15 July 2017. 2nd University Powerlifting World Cup, Potchefstroom, South Africa
- 4-6 August. Australian Junior/Masters Championships, Melbourne.
- 27 August – 3 September 2017. World Equipped Junior and Subjunior Championships, Orlando, Florida.
- 10-17 September 2017. Commonwealth Championships, Benchpress and Powerlifting, Potchefstoom, South Africa
- 2-7 October 2017. World Equipped Masters Championships, Sundsvall, Sweden
- 13-15 October 2017. Australian Open Championships, Melbourne.
- 21-28 October 2017, 16th Australian Masters Games, Tasmania.
Powerlifting is one of the 40+ sports on offer at the 16th Australian Masters Games. Powerlifting Australia and Raw Strength Tasmania will be hosting a Powerlifting event in Association with the Master games. Held in Tasmania’s North West (Ulverstone Sports and Leisure Centre, 1 Flora Street, West Ulverstone) the only criteria to compete in this event is you must meet the minimum age criteria, which is 40 years plus. Enter at www.australianmastersgames.com
- 7-10 December 2017. Oceania Championships, Singapore.